Advocating for social justice
At CARE International, we advocate to advance the rights and priorities of women, girls, and marginalized communities in all their diversity.
We work with partners – at grassroots, national, regional, and global levels – to influence change in line with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and CARE’s Vision 2030. CARE’s advocacy enables greater impact and increased accountability for commitments to fight poverty and inequality.
Gender at the center
Gender equality is at the center of all we do, so our advocacy focuses on tackling deeply entrenched inequalities which impact marginalized communities, particularly women and girls. Enabling women and girls to be heard is core to our vision.
Protracted humanitarian crises, the climate emergency, and COVID-19 have only exacerbated gender inequality and thus made our focus on women and girls even more critical.
CARE works across humanitarian, development, and peace-building contexts to advance social justice and promote human rights for people of all genders.
Our breakthrough priorities
CARE advocates for change across six Impact Areas – our areas of focus to drive change towards Vision 2030, these are Climate Justice; Gender Equality; Crisis Response; Right to Health; Right to Food, Water, and Nutrition; and Women’s Economic Justice.
Over the next couple of years, we will be working with our many partners to achieve much-needed breakthroughs in two key areas:
- Advancing voice, leadership and support for women and girls in all their diversity, particularly in crisis
- Building forward for a gender-just, inclusive COVID-19 response and recovery
Find out more in our Global Advocacy Roadmap
Through advocacy we aim to:
- Give voice to calls for social, gender, and climate justice
- Make systems and policies more responsive to the priorities and rights of women and girls
- Enable greater accountability amongst those responsible for upholding rights
- Put women, girls and marginalized communities front and center