JUBA, South Sudan (December 10, 2018): As the world reacts with shock to the horrific attacks on 157 women and girls in Bentiu on November 30, CARE International has weighed in calling for the perpetrators of the sexual violence to be brought to book.
“CARE puts women and girls in the heart of our programming and seeks a world of hope, tolerance and social justice where all people live with dignity,” said Rosalind Crowther, Country Director for CARE International in South Sudan. “We strongly condemn these horrendous attacks which constitute grave violations of human rights and call upon relevant authorities to take action to protect the rights and dignity of women and girls.”
CARE has projects currently running Bentiu where it provides critical life-saving assistance and services to survivors of gender-based violence in a confidential and ethical manner.
“This latest spate of violence is horrific and it’s disheartening to see women and girls continue bearing the brunt of the conflict,” says Crowther.
CARE is working with communities and local leaders to create awareness on the negative consequences of gender-based violence and to find lasting solutions to stop the dehumanising culture of violence against women and girls.
Founded in 1945 with the creation of the CARE Package®, CARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. CARE places special focus on working alongside women and girls because, equipped with the proper resources, they have the power to lift whole families and entire communities out of poverty. That’s why women and girls are at the heart of CARE’s community-based efforts to improve education and health, create economic opportunity, respond to emergencies and confront hunger. Last year CARE worked in 93 countries and reached more than 63 million people around the world. Learn more at care.org.
Joseph Scott, Communications and Policy Coordinator, +211 916 721 594, firstname.lastname@example.org
«All Press Releases