The CARE International family
CARE International is a global network of independent national organizations, which include CARE members, candidates and affiliates, social enterprises, and thousands of community-based partner organizations working together across more than 100 countries to save lives, end poverty and fight social injustice.
As a confederation, the CARE International network operates within various levels of governance, all bound together by our common vision, mission, and shared values. The CARE International Code is a core guiding document, subject to the statutes, that defines who CARE International is, what binds us, and how different parts of the CARE International network work together.
CARE International is a global network of 16 national members, four candidate members and one affiliate member with a common vision and mission to defeat poverty.
All CARE International members are independent organizations with their own areas of activity, strengths and expertise who coordinate and work together to achieve our shared goals.
Current members include:
CARE Australia, CARE Canada, CARE Deutschland, CARE Danmark, CARE Egypt Foundation, CARE France, CARE India, CARE Japan, CARE Luxembourg, CARE Nederland, CARE Norge, CARE Österreich, CARE Peru, Raks Thai (Thailand), CARE UK, CARE USA
As part of our journey to diversify our membership, candidate members represent CARE International entities currently on a timebound journey to becoming full members.
Current candidate members include:
Affiliate members are more independent parts of our network, they do not use the CARE brand identity, but work as part of the CARE network based on a shared set of goals and values and in line with our mutual strategic interests.
Current affiliate members include:
Our governance and leadership structures
CARE’s key governance and leadership bodies include:
- Our Supervisory Board is an independent body charged with strategic, operational, legal and financial oversight and advancing shared global priorities. The Supervisory Board meets quarterly. Meet the members of The Supervisory Board.
- The Council is the highest authority of CARE International, which serves as a representative forum for the diverse, worldwide membership of CARE. The Council meets annually.
- The National Directors Committee (NDC) is the global leadership team made up of the Secretary General and the representative leaders of each Member and Candidate. Affiliates are sometimes invited to participate on relevant topics. The NDC convenes regularly to make joint management decisions and ensure effective coordination amongst Members.
- The CI Secretariat supports the advancement of CARE’s joint global priorities and interests. It is overseen by the CI Supervisory Board and funded by the membership to convene global governance and leadership teams, define and advance shared strategic priorities, measure and report on accountability and coordinate the contributions of all parts of CI for joined up influencing, investment and impact.
- Strategic Leadership Teams have been established to provide thought leadership, analysis and accelerated action on shared priorities. These interdisciplinary teams comprise of staff from across the confederation. There are 2 active SLTs: Program Quality and Impact (PQ&I), and Organizational Development and Accountability (OD&A). We also have a wide range of deeply connected formal and informal working groups and communities of practice working across the globe together on areas such as humanitarian response, gender equality, advocacy, fundraising and communications.