Resources stretched as Cyclone Kenneth piles misery on Mozambique

 Mozambique
 Emergency Response
 29th Apr 2019
  • Spokespeople available for interviews
  • 700,000 people affected by storm with thousands in need of life saving assistance
  • Download Images here

Pemba/London – CARE International teams in northern Mozambique are witnessing enormous scenes of damage and destruction in towns and communities that were struck by Cyclone Kenneth.

Cyclone Kenneth is the first tropical cyclone with the equivalent of hurricane strength to strike Mozambique's northern province of Cabo Delgado since modern record-keeping began 60 years ago. According to the U.N., the strike by Kenneth marked the first time in recorded history that Mozambique has been hit by two powerful cyclones in the same season.

Daw Mohamed, Humanitarian Director for CARE International said: “We have been out on an assessment mission in Maconia district this morning (27 April 2019) and the entire area is scene of vast destruction. Having handled several disasters 3 decades of my career, this is one of the few I can hardly find the right words to describe. Everywhere you look, there is destruction. People have been left homeless with no food, no water and are in urgent need of assistance.

“CARE and its partners are currently doing assessments and at the same time bringing in life saving relief items to cater for the affected communities. Our priority is to make sure that women and girls are immediately supported with safe shelter and other basic needs so that they don’t become vulnerable to any dangers, abuse and other forms of exploitation,” Mohamed explained.

Kenneth has struck Mozambique on Thursday, just six weeks after another very powerful storm, Cyclone Idai, carved a trail of destruction through Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe, killing more than 1000 people and causing more than $2 billion worth of damage.

Authorities estimate that over 700,000 people have been affected by Kenneth. The Government of Mozambique also say they have managed to evacuate about 30,000 people in the past few days.

CARE is planning to distribute essential household items including mosquito nets, water buckets, and tents for shelter and hygiene kits for women and adolescent girls. Some of the materials are already on their way to the affected areas but more assistance is required.

“Our resources are stretched,” says Mohamed. “We urgently need support so that we can reach more people affected by the cyclone. If we don’t, the repercussions could be catastrophic.”

The situation is likely to be compounded in coming days by expected torrential rains. Some forecasts suggest that Kenneth could drop as much as to bring extremely heavy rainfall of 300 to 500mm over the coming days. This could cause severe flash flooding and extended and persistent river flooding.

 

ABOUT CARE

Founded in 1945, CARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. CARE places special focus on working alongside poor girls and women because, equipped with the proper resources, they have the power to lift whole families and entire communities out of poverty. Last year, CARE worked in 94 countries and reached more than 80 million people around the world. To learn more, please visit: www.care.org.

Media Contact

For media queries, please contact:

Henry Makiwa, Senior Humanitarian Communications Coordinator, CARE International – makiwa@careinternational.org

«All Press Releases
Designed and Produced by ACW
This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More